PLEASE NOTE: During a Special Meeting held on January 19, 2021 in response to the increasing number of COVID-19 cases within the County of Lake, the BOS voted to close the Courthouse to the public effective immediately while ensuring that the delivery of services will continue via electronic methods. The CDD has immediately enacted a COVID-19 Response Action Plan to ensure that all CDD services can be seamlessly transitioned to electronic and teleconferencing. That Action Plan includes the following but is not limited to:
- Using email, telephone, and video conference services as much as possible
- Updating this website in real time to address any changes and provide guidance on how to access these electronic services
For faster turn-around of your question, please use our informational pages under the Building drop-down menu above.
If you have additional Building questions, please email our team at: [email protected]
Building CDD technicians are available to answer your land use questions via the above email, between the hours of 8:00AM and 5:00PM, Monday-Friday. Please note, a building technician will respond within 10 business days depending on the nature of your inquiry.
To expedite the process, please leave complete information related to your inquiry. Include pertinent property, permit, and owner information.
The Building Permit Process
Obtaining a Building Permit
Step 1. Check you Zoning
- Check your Base Zoning and Full Zoning using our GIS viewer and our Zoning Ordinance
- Your Zoning Ordiance article(s) will tell you what you can buile, where you can build, how high you can build, etc. on your parcel.
- For example, if the GIS viewer has your Base Zone as "R1" and Full Zone with "SC" and "WW" you would read R1 SC and WW in the Zoning Ordinance to figure what you can do on your property.
- For more information on what you can and cannot do on your property, please visit our Planning Division website.
Step 2. Fill out a Building Permit application here
- Note: For full instructions please see "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit" for Single-Family Homes or "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit for Manufactured Housing"
Step 3. Gather your Plans!
- 2 Copies of Site Plan
- 2 Copies of Construction Plans/Supporting Documents
- 2 Copies of Fire Suppression System Plans
- 2 Copies of Photovoltaic System (Solar)
- Stormwater Control Olan MS4 (if within Community Growth Boundaries and over 2,500 sft of impervious surface)
Step 4. Send you plans around to Lake County Departments for approval.
- See the Department Key below for contact info
- Note: Some of these Departments require separate fees and permits. Once their requirements have been met, a representative from each will sign-off on the Building Permit form. When you have all your needed sign-offs proceed to Step 5.
Step 5. Located in an HOA?
- Make sure to get their Stamp of Approval on your plans.
Step 6. Gather the rest of your plans.
- See "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit" for Single-Family Homes or "Steps to Obtain a Building Permit for Manufactured Housing"
Step 7. Submit all your documents to the Community Development Department.
- Submit all your Plans along with the Building Permit form to our
- Application Name
- Project Description
- Project Address
- Property Owner Name
- Property Owner Address
- Parcel Number
- Contact Email
- Contact Phone
Step 8. Planning Clearance
- Once we receive your documents through the Portal, your application will be assessed on whether your project meets the zoning requirements. Please allow up to 10 business days to ensure your application submission request matches the appropriate Zoning Clearance fees. Applications without a legible email address and phone number will not be processed..
Step 9. Building Permit Processing
- Your application will next move on for full processing. A member of our CDD team will reach out to request the appropriate fees collected for your Building Permit. Please DO NOT remit payment until you receive a communication from us indicating the correct fees..
Step 10. Pick up your completed Building Permit
- See “Steps to Obtain a Building Permit” for a Building Permit processing timeline.
- Once your Permit is ready, a member of our Building team will reach out to coordinate your permit pick-up.
NOTE: Until further notice, the Community Development Department will be operating under the above transitional plan for Building Permit submittals. Please be advised a full digital submission and approval process is upcoming.
1. Sewer/Water District (Special Districts – dealing with public water and sewer systems. Fees collected.)
County of Lake Special Districts
2. Env. Health (Environmental Health well water and septic systems. Fees collected and permits issued.)
County of Lake Environmental Health
3. Local Fire District (fees collected on structures)
Lake Co. Fire Protection Dist. (Clearlake & Lower Lake)
No. Shore Fire Protection Dist. (Clearlake Oaks, Lucerne, Nice & Upper Lake)
S. Lake Co. Fire Prot. Dist. (South Lake area)
5. Lakebed Management (Proposed improvements on lake-abutting properties. Fees collected and permits issued.)
County of Lake Water Resources
7. Water Resources (Assesses properties in flood zones, and determines possible base flood elevation.)
County of Lake Water Resources
8. Lake County Air Quality Management District (Concerned with dust creation in the construction process of commercial and asbestos properties.)
Lake County Air Quality Management District
What is Green Building?Design and construction practices that produce buildings that are generally:
- higher quality
- healthier for people and environment
- less costly to maintain
- consume fewer natural resources
- generate less waste