Some applicants for the CalWORKs program may only require one-time assistance with a payment or service and are not in need of extended assistance payments.  The Diversion Program is intended to address this kind of situation.  The CalWORKs applicant must still meet all eligibility and income criteria for the CalWORKs program in order to be eligible for a Diversion payment.  The amount of a Diversion payment is determined based on the family’s immediate needs, such as paying for a car repair or covering household bills.  Before a diversion payment is issued, the family must verify they are employed or have other specific means of continued support.