Frequently Asked Questions

Click on question to view answer.

Depending on when you served in the military your benefits may vary. There are several programs designed for the disabled veteran who served during a war time period, but did not have any service-connected disabilities. These include monthly monetary benefits, hospitalization, and outpatient medical care.

Depending on when you served, you may be eligible for a non-service-connected pension program for you and your family.

This program will depend on the veteran being totally disabled and also on the amount of income the veteran currently has.

If you paid into the educational program you have 10 years from discharge to use your GI Bill benefits. Your children may also be eligible to go to college in California if you have any verifiable disabilities from the service which may be as small as a scar from surgery, wounds from combat, etc.

There may be, depending on how long you have been out of the service or if you now have a service-connected disability. There are time limits on both programs - for details, contact the Lake County Veterans Service Department.

Yes, if you served 24 months or more since September 7, 1980, or if you were released from the service with a medical disability or for medical reasons. Prior to September 7, 1980, you only had to have days in the service for treatment; however, all medical treatment is based on having other than dishonorable service.

All veterans who have other than dishonorable service are eligible for burial in a National Cemetery, a grave marker (headstone) and a US Flag for the next of kin.

As long as your home loan was paid off, as many times as you need it.

Our office can help you develop your claim for these injuries regardless of how long you have been out of the service.

Our office can assist veterans in obtaining military records to support their claim for discharge upgrades and submission of same.

Depending on income, as a surviving parent, you may be eligible for compensation.

Depending on whether the veteran incurred an injury or illness in the service, the VA could provide monthly payments for children under age 18 or under the age of 22 if still in school. Also, the child may have tuition-free college in California available, depending on income.

A representative from Employers' Training Resource is available full-time at our office to assist with employment for veterans.

Trained personnel are available to assist the veteran in developing a claim and obtaining treatment for same through our office.

We can assist in ordering the military discharge forms from the National Personnel Records Center. You will usually receive a response in three to four weeks. This process may be prolonged if the files were destroyed in the fire at NPRC in 1973. On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). The following records were affected:

Army-Personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960
Air Force-Personnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964 (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)