LAKE COUNTY, Calif. (September 4, 2019) – Coastal Cleanup Day is coming to Clear Lake on Saturday, September Sept 21! This is the perfect opportunity for Lake County citizen volunteers to help clean shorelines, streams, and creeks and prevent trash from entering the lake and degrading the aquatic environment.
Coastal Cleanup day involves more than marine beaches, as shorelines exist along any lake or waterbody, such as Clear Lake. Started in 1985 by the California Coastal Commission, Coastal Cleanup day is one of the largest volunteer events in the US, involving more than 60,000 volunteers each year. Since its inception, Coastal Cleanup day has resulted in the removal of 23 million pounds of trash from California’s public beaches, lakes, and waterways. Last year’s Lake County Coastal Cleanup Day resulted in the removal of over 500 lbs. of trash collected by 41 dedicated volunteers. Let’s try to beat those numbers this year!
Volunteers are encouraged to participate at any of the seven (7) shoreline locations within the County and City of Clearlake. Materials such as gloves and trash bags will be provided. Kayakers, boaters, and waders are also strongly encouraged to participate, as trash can be found on land and in the water! Want to go green? Bring your own bucket or reusable bags to help collect trash and save the landfill from more plastic!
If you or someone you know would like to participate in Coastal Cleanup Day, report to any of the following locations on Sat, September 21, from 9AM to Noon:
1) Keeling County Park (3000 Carson St, Upper Lake, CA 95485)
2) Rodman Slough County Park (1635 Nice-Lucerne Cutoff Road, Lakeport, CA 95453)
3) Nice- Lucerne Cutoff (Latitude & Longitude 39.119210, -122.89622)
4) Highland Springs (3500 E. Highland Springs Rd. Lakeport, CA 95453)
5) Clear Lake Campground (7805 Cache Creek Way, Clearlake, 95422)
6) Austin Park (14295 Lakeshore Drive, Clearlake, 95422) –Starting at 8:30AM!
7) Borax Lake (Sulfur Bank Rd. Latitude & Longitude 38.978898, -122.67017) – Meet at 7:30 AM at the park in front of Clearlake City Hall if you want direction to cleanup site (if possible RSVP to site captain Edgar at 707-350-5152)
This event has been made possible by a partnership between Lake County Water Resources, City of Clearlake, Citizens Caring for Clear Lake, and the Clear Lake Environmental Research Center as well as local event sponsors C&S Waste Solutions, Caltrans, and Lake County Public Services. If you have questions or need more information please feel free to contact Lake County Water Resources, at (707)263-2344, [email protected] , or message us on Facebook, @lakecountywater.