Birth Certificates


Birth certificates are available only for this year and last year from the Vital Statistics Office.

Birth certificates for past years are available from the Lake County Recorders Office.

Certified Copy

A certified birth certificate is used to establish identity for legal purposes. California state laws help protect against identify theft by allowing only an authorized person to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate. Those who are authorized by law to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate are:

  • The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
  • A party entitled to receive the certificate as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth certificate in order to comply with the requirement of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency)
  • A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute, or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
  • Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any authorized individual specified previously or in Health and Safety Code Section 7100

Informational Only Copy

Those who do not meet the criteria for an authorized certified copy may receive an informational only copy. The words "informational, not a valid document to establish identity" will be imprinted across the face of the certified copy. (Cash or check only.)


  • Birth Certificate: $29
  • Birth Certificate for Government Agency: $22

Fee Exemptions

In California, a homeless person, or a homeless child, or youth on behalf of themselves can make a request for a birth certificate, or any person lawfully entitled to request a birth certificate on behalf of a child, if the child has been verified as a homeless person or a homeless child or youth.

Fee Exemptions Documents